Tuesday, 19 June 2007

Project Chez Moi

And so it starts...

The first builder came round today to quote on the potential extension of Chez Walker (I'm toying with the idea of having an entirely new wing build just off the west lobby as long as it still leaves enough room in the grounds for the peacocks to strut happily between the orangery and the lake and doesn't obscure the view from the library).

I quite liked the guy, he seemed to really know his stuff and the intricacies of dealing with Wandsworth Council planning department and I particularly liked it when he said that his company would take on absolutely everything to do with the work as a fixed price (drawings, planning, hiring skips, party wall stuff, project management of the build) and that all I'd need to do is go to work to get out of their hair and earn the money to pay for it. It was quite reassuring in a 'bloody hell this is going to cost me a fortune' sort of way.

I'm sure the topic of my extension will reoccur many times here if I decide to go ahead with it. It's not going to be cheap but it will be much cheaper than moving to a flat of the equivalent size. And hey, so far all it's cost me is 1 cup of tea and 1 cup of coffee (he had one of each. Is this a good or bad sign?).

No comments: