Friday, 11 May 2007

Thailand, part two



Phuket is like a different holiday. Koh Lanta was so very quiet and idyllic, Racha was quite and luxurious, but Phuket is neon and ladyboys and fake handbags and a Starbucks. I thought I knew what to expect but it transpires that nothing can quite prepare you.

I love the fact that there are two different classes of fake goods. Fake fakes (eg handbags), which the Thai's will scoff at and tell you how rubbish they are - they're right, they're not even made of leather and are all imported from China. And then there are the good fakes, leather handbags that look exceptionally like the real deal but cost about a tenth of the price (which is still a fair amount, especially to Thai's). Even the newspapers are fake - see pic for photocopies of newspapers for sale.

Today I've managed to get myself the most sunburnt I've ever been. I reckon that maybe even the suntan lotion I bought here was fake, so I have probably spent two hours sitting in the sun with cooking oil on or something. I look very red and my skin is screaming 'Brit abroad' as a result.

2 comments:

JJ said...

keeping flying the flag for Brits abroad! xx JJ

helen said...

Not to worry - I haven't had my hair beaded and resorted to wearing a Union Jack bikini. Maybe I should have made that abundantly clear.